Yes, BuzzFeed is already doing the dickens out of this blog post style, but I’ve yet to see one about running, and I definitely haven’t seen one about running in Dallas.
I’m an afternoon/evening runner, so this is a sampling of thoughts that ping my brain throughout the day leading up.
1. Good lord, it’s too hot to run.
2. Do I have any clean running tights? Gross.
3. I need to eat an extra piece of peanut butter, banana and flaxseed on spelt toast so I don’t bonk.
4. All I’ve had to drink today is coffee. That’s water, right?
5. Do I run the Katy Trail or run to Bishop Arts or run the Jefferson bridge into downtown and to Deep Ellum and back or run an out-and-back at White Rock Lake or …
6. Running tights are dirty. All dirty.
7. I could wear running shorts but I haven’t shaved my legs in a week.
8. It’s spring and it’s in the 90s. Why did my ancestors drag their covered wagon to this godforsaken toaster oven.
9. Ooh, a forgotten Larabar in my cubicle drawer. I’d better eat this so I don’t bonk.
10. Crap, left my Nike Frees in my husband’s car.
11. Don’t want to wear my Brooks PureFlows. No way to keep the tongues in place. Stupid design.
12. Don’t want to wear my specialized-and-really-ugly Asics I got when I was dealing with sesamoiditis.
13. My trail shoe it is. Maybe I should go to Cedar Ridge Preserve.
14. My RunKeeper training plan says today is a tempo run. I can’t tempo-run in what-passes-for-mountains-in-Dallas.
15. Mountains. In North Texas. Hilarious.
16. Why did my ancestors come here, again?
17. Great, my sports bras are all dirty.
18. So what, sports bras are supposed to be dirty. Dried sweat ain’t never hurt nobody.
19. I can’t deal with all the cyclists at White Rock today.
20. I can’t deal with all the street dogs in Oak Cliff today.
21. I can’t deal with all the 2-abreast walkers, jogging strollers, and cyclists on Katy Trail today.
22. Katy Trail Ice House is on Katy Trial. There are margaritas there.
23. I can’t stop in the middle of my run for a margarita. Alone. Pathetic.
24. That’s it; I’m running around Lake Cliff Park. It’s flat. Feral dog-free. Relatively.
25. Is it hot enough to drag around a hand-held water bottle already? Ugh.
26. Is it so hot that I need to bust out the CamelBak? Ugh.
27. If I wear underwear with these running tights, that’s basically like they’re clean.
28. I love Texas heat, I really do. God bless Texas. I love you.
29. I need more sports bras. Good ones.
30. Good sports bras are expensive.
31. Running is expensive.
32. At least I’m not a cyclist. Now that’s expensive. Right?
33. Wait, I did fartleks yesterday. Screwed up my schedule. I’m taking a rest day.